Thursday 20 October 2011

Have Your Cake And Eat It


Sweets and treats are a firm favourite at Highland Angel HQ so we were delighted to discover that it is officially National Baking Week (www.nationalbakingweek.co.uk) (17 – 23 October). In order to fully embrace this most important occasion I decided to pop on my pinny and whip up some delicious jam-filled vanilla cupcakes for the team.


When dealing with sponge, nobody does it better than Delia. Her all-in-one recipe (http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-cook/baking/how-to-make-all-in-one-sponge.html) bakes a beautiful Victoria Sponge but I find with a dozen paper cases and a dollop of creativity, also churns out fluffy golden cupcakes.

Once cooled, I filled my celebratory sponges with raspberry jam. This adds an interesting twist and is easy enough to do – with a sharp knife simply cut a cone from the top of each cake and add a teaspoon of jam before replacing the extra sponge.

The icing on the cake (no pun intended) simply has to be The Hummingbird Bakery's Vanilla Frosting. Their gorgeous cookbook is filled with stunning photographs and mouth-watering recipes – a must-have for any creative kitchen. I piped the buttercream onto my cakes before using an edible pearl lustre spray (http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Pearl-Lustre-Spray.html). To finish, I topped with little fondant designs - eat your heart out!

Why not send us a photograph of your baking - we'd love you to join our tea party! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment here