Thursday 6 September 2012

Soup Kitchen


Soup is one of my favourite things to make. It's cheap, healthy, always open to interpretation (depending on what's in your fridge) and tastes, well, souper duper. Below is my own recipe for carrot and lentil soup, a modified Delia classic (I've taken out all the complicated bits and ingredients I never seem to have in my kitchen). Every time I make it, the soup tastes slightly different - which for me is part of its charm.




Ingredients:
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 175g red lentils
- 400g (one tin) of chopped tomatoes
- 2 pints of vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Pour a generous glug of oil into a frying pan. Add your onions and garlic and cook on a medium heat until soft.
2. Add the chopped carrots and cook for five minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Add the lentils and mix thoroughly. Transfer to a large pan.
4. Add the tomatoes and stock and stir. Season to taste and bring to the boil. Simmer for 40 minutes.
5. Leave the soup to cool then blend until smooth. Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

comment here